Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Day of Accomplishments

Timothy:

So around 630am, as Jessica and I were chatting and going about our morning routines - we heard Mirabel's little voice as she began to stir in her crib. It is not unusual for her to wake and start talking to herself before Morriah wakes too and then we get them both up. Being the adoring parents that we are - we'll try and prolong their time in bed for as LONG AS POSSIBLE - so as soon as we heard her rustling we immediately stopped our conversation and listened (in hopes she'd just fall back to sleep)...

But instead of getting quieter, or even staying the same... it sounded completely different. Not unhappy, not any louder... but it was growing CLOSER! As Jess and I are realizing what the qualitative change in this sound must mean, Mirabel very casually walks around the corner (!), pauses, looks at us with this sheepishly proud grin like "Betcha didn't know I could do THAT!"

She had of course, for the first time entirely on her own - demonstrated that she's VERY capable of climbing silently like a ninja, IN THE DARK, and sneaking out of her room! We've known Morriah to be capable of climbing in and out of her crib for some time... but she never tries to climb out without one of us present. Whenever I try to help Mirabel climb in or out, she protests, makes a few reaches with her leg, and usually calls it quits. WELL NOW I KNOW IT'S ALL A CHARADE! That little trickster!

We were of course very proud and erupted with praise and kisses and hugs for her.

Great jorb, Mirabel.


Jessica:

This morning at breakfast, Morriah announced, "POOP!" I asked her if she had to go poop or if she already went poop and she said, "Changing table!." We went to the changing table and I checked her diaper and she was clean! I took her to the bathroom and asked her, "Morriah, do you want to go poop on the toilet?" She pondered the idea for a moment. So I went on, "You'll get a [rub-on] tatoo, some candy, a Care Bears sticker . . . " She looked at me for a second and said, "ok, sure!" - a classic Morriah line as of late. She set up her training seat on the toilet, climbed up on her stool and sat down on her throne. She went right to business, wasting no time. Then she looked up at me and proudly said, "I DID IT!!" and thus was her third experience pooping on the toilet! Great job, Morriah.

No comments: